you know it's real when there's nothing left to reveal

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Angela and I are engaged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this is the official story about our engagement, and a few of the events leading up to it. This post is long, and quite detailed, just like Sarah Houghton requested. There are pictures, so if you are lazy, you could just look at them. Also, please feel free to either comment at the end of this post, or email me (stevehollema@hotmail.com) your comments. We would love to hear from you!!!

So, we started dating on Dec 24th 2006, and one year later was when things finally came together, and it was time for me to ask Angela to marry me. It was also the perfect cover up so that Angela didn’t see it coming. I’m not very good at keeping secrets, and Angela can read me quite well. So my proposal plans just seemed like a One Year Anniversary celebration, hehe. Also, Christmas shopping was a perfect cover up for me taking Angela shopping, and then splitting up so I could “shop for her” and pick up the ring (aka Angela’s engagement bling). There was like a hundred times, quite literally, that I almost said something to Angela, and let the secret out. But some how, most definitely by the grace of God, I never said anything, and she didn’t see it coming.

We started out from Angela’s parents place at 9am, an hour later then I wanted to leave, and after getting unstuck from the snowdrift in the driveway, we were on our way. I tried my best not to get stressed, and remained cool, sort of, cause I knew we were gonna be tight for time cause there was A LOT of driving ahead of us.

We stopped by my parents place so I could pick up my “bag of surprises” and two GT snow racers. I told Angela that we were going to go on an adventure to find the best tobogganing hill ever!! The first thing I gave her from the bag of surprises was a Riddle/Poem for her to read and guess where our first destination was. She guessed right, and quite easily, that it was the first place we met. A coffee shop of course.

After having a nice warm drink and some lunch, we got back in the truck and headed to the next secret location. On the way I gave her the next surprise, a lovely card for our one-year anni. I found it a while ago, and the words were just perfect. The gist of it was that I would love to grow old with her. Yes, I know, I’m very romantic. On our way through Orillia we stopped at Timmy’s for a pit stop and some cookies. Form there Angela drove and I told her where to turn. She started to recognize the roads, and guessed that we were headed up to Bancroft to go up to the Eagles Nest Lookout point. She was right, but I just told her “that's a good guess, hun”.

The Road to Bancroft
The road to Bancroft

A few of her favourite things
A few momentos, card, cookies, coffee, and poem

Eagles Nest is a special place for us. It was the first place that we spent time together, just the two of us. I had invited Angela to go with me to the Rally of The Tall Pines back in Nov 06, only a month after we met. During the afternoon break we went up there and talked for a while, and threw rocks of the cliff. Then, during the Lichti family holidays this past summer in Halliburton, we went up again and watched the sunset, and saw a cloud that looked just like David Hasselhoff. No joke! So of course, it was the perfect, and only, place to ask Angela to marry me.

IMG_0232
A veiw from the first time at Eagles Nest

IMG_0242
Angela and Stephen first time at Eagles Nest

We got to the base of the hill with only 45 mins of daylight left. The road up to the lookout point is not plowed during the winter, so we had to hike it. I knew this, which is why we brought our snow gear, and GT snow racers for the way back down. So of course, the “tobogganing on the best hill ever,” was the cover up for this part. Now I had assumed that there would be snowmobile tracks to follow up the hill. But there were no snowmobile tracks. The climb was long already, so trudging through snow up to your knees would make it impossible to reach the top before dark. Fortunately, someone had snow shoed up the hill before the thaw and refreeze, which made frozen steps for us to follow. I’m sure it was a God send.

Looking up at Eagles Nest lookout point
Looking up at Eagles Nest Lookout Point

Angela with the GT's
The Hike Up

We made the climb in about half an hour, with only 10 mins of daylight. I knew I was a bit rushed, but I tried to remain calm and enjoy the moment. Angela tried to throw me into the snow, but it backfired on her, haha. After some fun I stomped out a spot for us to stand. A suspicious moment from Angela’s perspective, but I “just thought it would be easier to stand”.

At the top of Eagles Nest
At The Top of Eagles Nest

A kiss to win her heart
A Kiss to win her heart, I hope

So then I asked her if she wanted the next surprise from the bag of surprises. Of course she said yes. I pulled out a piece of paper, which she saw, and a small box, which she didn’t see. I gave her a hug whilst reading two poems that I had written her previously, for some nice memories of course. But at the end of the poem that I had asked her out with, I changed “will you go out with me” to, well, you can guess I’m sure. But right before I read those words, I did a large, dramatic pause and took a step back from her. And suddenly, it hit her, he’s about to ask!!

As I knelt down on one knee, Angela keep saying over and over, “What are you doing?! What are you doing?! What are you doing?!” I then revealed the ring and asked her to marry me. She then said over and over “I don’t know what to do! I don’t know what to do! Are you sure!? Are you sure!? I don't want to see it, I don't want to see it (the ring)!”

I took her hand and tried putting the ring on the wrong finger at first. Angela corrected me, and then I got it right. It fit perfect, so I stood up.

“I didn’t say yes yet!!” exclaimed Angela.
“Oh, right.” I said as I went back down on my knee.
“Yes, I will marry you!” Angela said, "you are SO handsome!"
...I might have added the handsome part...but it is true!

After she said YES!
After she said YES

Angela's new ring!
Angela's new Ring (aka Engagement Bling)

So anyway, we were right out of day light, and we still needed to get back down the hill. So we took a few pictures, shared some kisses, and headed back down the hill. Unfortunately, the snow was too deep for the GT snow racers to slide as well as they should. But we made it, in one piece, and still very much in love.

Back to the bottom of Eagles Nest
Back At the Bottom of Eagles Nest

My favourite girl ever
My favorite Girl EVER

Angela's Engagement Bling
A close up of the "Bling"

After we got back from Bancroft
Back at my parents house, and very tired





And now, a bunch of photos, just for fun!!!!

Christmas 07
Christmas Day with my Fianceeeee

Day trip to Ipperwash
A day trip to the beach

A kiss on the beach
A kiss on the beach!

Writting in the sand
Writting in the sand, on the beach

random
Two big smiles

Steve is so hot, sigh
Steve is SO hott, and he knows it, sigh

At Daniel and Natasha's wedding
At Daniel (Angela's brother) and Natasha's wedding

Driving somewhere
Driving somewhere, we like driving

Angela and me on road 13
My B-day present to Angela, a bike ride

Angela with the VFR on road 13
Angela with the VFR

A kiss atempt
A kiss attempt, we like to kiss

Angela the Rocker
Angela's new rocker hair

Thats all for now. I hope you enjoyed it, Sarah. hahahaaha

17 Comments:

Blogger *sPARKLY~sARAH* said...

I DID enjoy it!!!!
I'll have you know that since you sent me that e-mail saying you were engaged and that you'd post the story and pictures, I've been checking this blog EVERY day! EVERY DAY!!! (no joke!)

And . . .it was completely worth the wait! You guys are so unbelievably cute and it's awesome that you're engaged!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOO happy for you guys!!! YAY!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Love you both tons and tons and I'm so excited about the wedding and the life you guys are going to have together!

XoXo
(p.s. Lee teared up while reading the story! hehe!)

7:25 AM

 
Blogger Lee said...

Wow Steve!!!
That's such a great story and I'm so happy for both you guys.
We've been waiting for the story for over a week now and it didn't disappoint.
You 2 are a beautiful couple and look so in love.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully we'll be over sometime soon so we can see you both.

Way to go Steve!!!

7:25 AM

 
Blogger Mel Jefferey said...

You guys are the ones that Pudd was hinting at AHHHHHH I'm so happy for you both what a great story! Way to go Steve!
LAter MEl

12:19 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Puddle said...

I didn't tell you anything! Leave me out of this.

Congrats matey! Very very thrilled for you. Maija is too.

4:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this over...Bronwyn (Angela's niece) was noticing... you guys like to kiss a lot.

Also, quite disappointed that there was no mention of your other "date" over the holidays!!

Seriously, bless you guys, looking forward to many good times with family!!!

8:07 AM

 
Blogger Sarah-Aubrey said...

OK, seriously, I *love* this story. Angela, I can totally relate to your "What are you doing? What are you doing? What are you doing?" moment. Doesn't it all seem so surreal? Steve, excellent cover with stomping down the snow for somewhere to stand.

YOU TWO ARE SO CUTE!!!

We can't wait to catch up with you in PERSON (*gasp!*) sometime in the near future.

LOTS and LOTS of love,
Sarah (& Andrew)
- the other engagees -

9:30 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Hooray! We love Steve and Angela Hollema to be!

Boooooo! TACF's internet won't let me look at the pictures!

Hooray! You guys are engaged and we're so excited for you. It's such a fun ride...

All our love
The Hardy Party

9:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it ALL and it made me want to cry. I miss you guys so much. I wish I could be there with you all, marvelling in the new part of your lives together. Steve, I am so happy that you love my sister so very, very much. I love how you honour her and cherish her. I know that you will take care of her. Congratulations, BROTHER!!!
love Heidi (I don't have a user account)

10:30 AM

 
Blogger Andrew G said...

I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU TWO HOW HAPPY I AM FOR YOU!

AN AMAZING STORY STEVE!

I LOVE YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!!

10:34 AM

 
Blogger Jake-M said...

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I am so happy for you Steve, and so terrified for you Angela...just kidding. Great story Steve, I loved the part about "What are you doing? Is this for real?"

I think that women secretly know that they are smarter than us, so when we surprise them, they don't know what to think about it all.

Keep us all informed about the important dates and things.

love you bro

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Jake-M said...

p.s.- Pudd told us all everything

9:32 AM

 
Blogger beth said...

Nooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

This is so great! I love you guys to bits!

Snowy engagements rock...oh so romantic :)

Hope to see you both VERY soon so I can attack you with hugs. No, you cannot escape from this.

LOVE, Beth and baby

10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stevo/ "Teevie" (as Aaron says).
Way to go,soon-to-be-bro!! I am sooo impressed with the romantic antics!!!
I also am quite convinced that you should add "avid Scapbooker" to your resume:). That was quite the amazing
arrangement and commentary!!
Thanks for the details--they were GRRReat!!
Love you and bless all your dreams and planning for the wedding and also on your marriage!
Love
Jenn

8:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoooo hoo!

What a sweet and creative way to propose! Awesome story, adorable pictures. You've waited your whole life to find someone you're perfectly matched with, and now you get to hang out with eachother forever!

Thanks for the whole story, it made my day. I'm living vicariously through you guys!

love
Sarah

1:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE & ANGELA!! Such a great story...and the pictures are fantastic!! :) God bless you both!!
I'm looking forward to your special day, soon to come!
much love,
Francine

5:24 PM

 
Blogger The Ken said...

Hey Steve,

I love the story! It's really great to hear how things have been going for you guys. Congratulations!

10:51 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

way to go you champion...way to go...
sorry i've veen silent for so long...
but congrats...ulations..of course
for there is not greater congrats than the ulations type...

12:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home